New to Year 7
Welcome to the Denny Family!
We understand that the transition from primary to secondary school is an exciting and significant milestone in the life of your child and Year 7 is just the beginning.
The Denny Family will be here to support you and your child with the things they can do, want to be able to do or cannot do yet but will soon be able to do.
Your child will be expected to manage a variety of new experiences and challenges - many of which demand skills and abilities that they have not had to use before.
Students join us from a wide range of about 50 different primary schools - so transition is very important to us.
Our aim is to ensure that every student feels happy, confident and supported during what can be a challenging time. Over the next few months and into the new academic year, there are many opportunities for you both to ease any concerns you may have.
We want to ensure that students, parents and carers have all the information required ready for the new academic year.
1. Google Form - Finding Out About Each Child
Parents and carers have been sent a Google Form to complete by 17th June 2022 to give us some information in order for us to create the Year 7 Tutor Groups.
We also need to know about their MFL preference (No preference/French/German/Spanish) for their timetable.
If your child plays a musical instrument we also need to know this so that they can be timetabled with our musicians for Music.
2. There is an initial meeting for the students and a parent or carer on Thursday 30th June 2022 and then we welcome our future Year 7s on Thursday 7th July 2022 for a Taster Day.
At the meeting on 30th June 2022 (6pm - 8pm):
- Students will find out which House they will be in. They will meet other students in their House and their Tutor
- There will be an opportunity for parents and carers to meet the Tutor
- Aspens, our Catering Company, will provide 'tasters'
- Our Uniform supplier will be available as well as second hand uniform sold by the DRHS Parent and Staff Association
- We will make sure parents and carers know the arrangements for Taster Day (including how to buy lunch) and the start of Term 1
- There will also be an opportunity for parents and carers to ask any questions or share any issues or concerns
On the Taster Day on 7th July 2022 (8.45am - 3pm)
- Students should arrive on Seabroke Road and will be greeted by staff and taken to the Gym
- There will be a Welcome Talk by Miss Giblin, Headteacher
- Students will have time with their Tutor and Tutor Group
- They will have four 'taster lessons' - students need to wear trainers and comfortable clothing as one of the lessons will be PE and bring basic stationery for other lessons
- Students will be able to have lunch in the Dining Room - parents and carers will need to purchase this via our online shop by Monday 4th July 2022
3. Starting in September 2022
Year 7 (and Year 12) students will start Term 1 on Monday 5th September 2022.
The students will get their timetable and have a tour of the school. They will have time with their Tutor and Tutor Group as well as some lessons.
4. Bonding Trip
On Friday 9th September 2022, all Year 7 students will be taken off site for a day's bonding! There will be more details of this at the Information Evening and details for how to pay for this trip
If you have any other questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be in touch.