Face Coverings, Masks and Visors
Additions to Face Covering policy from 8 March 2021
Face Coverings in Lessons:
The wearing of face coverings is strongly advised at all times when on school site. This now includes during lessons within the classroom.
Use of Face Visors:
Face visors or shields should not be worn as an alternative to face coverings. They may protect against droplet spread in specific circumstances but are unlikely to be effective in reducing aerosol transmission when used without an additional face covering. They should only be used after carrying out a risk assessment for the specific situation and should always be cleaned appropriately.
From 9 September 2020
- We have revised our policy on the wearing of face coverings.
Government guidance is to minimise opportunities for transmission. Where it is difficult to effectively socially distance other measures should be considered. Our risk areas include lesson transitions where we have narrow corridors and stair cases making it difficult to maintain a distance between different student groups (bubbles) despite other measures like our one-way system and regular hand washing/sanitising. Other risk areas include indoor communal areas and waiting for buses.
Face coverings do not protect the wearer. They protect others. Therefore they are only truly effective if all within the area are wearing them. This is a Community approach.
Students and staff must adhere to the following procedures. Our Behaviour and Health & Safety Policies will be amended accordingly, as will our Risk Assessment.
- Face coverings (masks/visors) should be worn in all indoor communal areas. These include:
- Any indoor year base for breaks / lunch / before school (they may be removed for eating/drinking, but worn at all other times)
- At lunch time when waiting to buy food in the restaurant / sixth form cafe
- The LRC
- The Sixth Form Independent and Group Study rooms
- All staff work areas
- Waiting in the Restaurant / Conservatory for buses at the end of the school day
- Waiting for buses on the pavements
- Face coverings should be worn in all corridors and at all times indoors and outdoors at lesson change over.
- When students and staff arrive at lessons they will remove their face covering, store it in their bag / pocket and immediately sanitise their hands.
We have face coverings available for Pupil Premium students and students on 16-19 bursary. These are available from Mrs Barr or Mrs Harvey.