In 1946 the school orchestra won a cup at the Cheltenham Festival, a fitting finale to Mr Morrell's work in the Music department as he was about to retire. Thereafter the girls no longer paid to attend orchestra, and their lessons were subsidised by the Authority. Students could start learning an instrument in a class with the first year's tuition free, and later at a fee which was a small fraction of that charged for private tuition. Thanks to the foresight of Mrs Searled and Mr Morrell thee school already had purchased a viola, several cellos and a double bass. Six violins were then provided by the LEA iin 1947. The string classes multiplied and by 1950 the School's junior choir was forty strong.
Soon trips to foreign countries re-started with visits in 1946/47 to Switzerland, America, France, Austria, Denmark and Sweden.
Miss Barwell (Headteacher from 1895 for 24 years) sadly passed away aged 87 in Dawlish. She was a wonderful linguist and translated many Swedish and German books.
She could never be idle. During WW2 she spent hours making clothes for refugees. Her interest in the High School never flagged. Even though she left in 1919 she helped to publish the 1933 Jubilee Footprints and Memories.
In the Autumn Term, when the new Canteen was at last opened, the old Dining Room upstairs became the Music Room. On 18 November they had a 'house-warming' party to which several recent Old Girls were invited and the Choir and Orchestra performed.