In 1920 Miss Carless introduced the blue and white striped blouse to the uniform.
In 1921 Ribston Hall High School opened in Spa Road to cope with the overcrowding of the High School and the long waiting list.
The name of the school was changed to Denmark Road High School from Gloucester Girls’ High School to prevent the confusion with Ribston Hall. After a few years though, the school was known as The High School, Denmark Road.
House competitions and sports day started in the 1920s; Kyneburga, Mynd, Bearland, Barwell and Hartland were the house names.
The following photos were on a local Gloucestershire website, 1910-1920?:
In March 1922, Miss Carless left.
In April 1922, Miss Penson was appointed Headmistress.
In July 1922 a General Meeting was held in the School Hall to revive thee activities of the Old Girls' Association. A Committee was elected with Miss Penson as President, and it was decided that social gatherings should be held at intervals throughout the year.
The Association numbered 194 members. The annual subscription was 2s. 6d which included a copy of the School Magazine.
In the 4th edition of the magazine (1922-23) Sybil Shepherd and Agnes Everness were congratulated on obtaining their degrees at the University of Bristol.
In the 1923-24 edition it states that on 23 November The Old Girls' Association heard a lecture from Dr Winifred Cullis on "Women and National Health."
During the lecture she emphasised the duty of women as individuals and as citizens to keep fit by taking sufficient food, fresh air, rest and exercise. Dr Cullis delighted everyone by her friendly way of dealing with her subject, and they went home much impressed with the virtues of brown bread, butter, eggs, tomatoes, peas, beans, fresh green vegetables and lemons and full of respect for cod liver oil!
Winifred Cullis CBE (2 June 1875 – 13 November 1956) was a physician and academic, and the first woman to hold a professorial chair at a medical school. Born in Gloucester, Winifred was the youngest daughter of Frederick John and Louisa Cullis. She was educated at King Edwards VI High School for Girls, Birmingham after which she attended Newnham College, Cambridge and then London School of Medicine for Women. She became professor of physiology at the University of London in 1919. A school in Barnwood, Gloucester was later named after her.
Professor Cullis was guest speaker at the High School Speech Day in 1929.