In August, Miss Barwell retired.
In September, Miss Carless was appointed Headmistress.
Miss Carless started the first School Magazine. “Not for each but for all” became the school motto and was on the first prefects’ badges. Christmas parties began at this time, as did the summer picnics for the Prefects, the first of which included a steamer trip to Wainlodes, with rowing lessons and strawberries for tea.
First issue of Gloucester High School Magazine.
In 1920 Miss Carless introduced the blue and white striped blouse to the uniform.
In 1921 Ribston Hall High School opened in Spa Road to cope with the overcrowding of the High School and the long waiting list.
The name of the school was changed to Denmark Road High School from Gloucester Girls’ High School to prevent the confusion with Ribston Hall. After a few years though, the school was known as The High School, Denmark Road.
House competitions and sports day started in the 1920s; Kyneburga, Mynd, Bearland, Barwell and Hartland were the house names.
The following photos were on a local Gloucestershire website, 1910-1920?: